Active Cases
Employment Attorneys Cincinnati, OH | Dayton, OH
Active Cases
LOCAL: 513-834-8254
Local: 513-834-8254

Improper Rounding and Pay to Shift

Our attorneys can file a claim or lawsuit for you

One of the most common and frustrating wage and hour claims involves employers improperly rounding the amount of time an employee works each day. Other times, companies don’t follow the rules governing pay to shift regulations. When this happens, it’s important for employees to demand the compensation they rightfully deserve.

That’s our job. Our attorneys at Gibson Law, LLC have dedicated their careers to handling such complicated legal cases. We strongly believe that companies should honor employment agreements and pay workers the money they rightfully owe them.

Such cases might seem straightforward at first, especially if an employer clearly violated state or federal wage and hour laws. But the reality is many companies would rather hire a lawyer to defend their actions than pay their workers the money they earned. When that happens, we can work with you to build the strongest possible legal case on your behalf. That’s our promise.

What is improper rounding?

Many employees are required to punch in and out of work as part of their job. When they do so, some employers do something often referred to as improper rounding. This means that the company rounds off how much time the employee worked during a particular shift.

For example, an employee might work an extra 10 or 15 minutes before or after their shift, particularly if a supervisor asks the employee to stay late or come in early for work. But instead of paying the employee for the extra time, some employers round off that time and don’t pay for the extra time worked each day.

This might not seem significant. But if an employee is asked to work extra time before and after work every day without pay, that can add up to hundreds or even thousands of hours of unpaid work. That’s why it’s important to consult with a lawyer in such situations.

What does pay to shift mean?

Another game employers sometimes play is to pay an employee for the hours that person was scheduled to work, rather than the hours they actually worked that day. This can be to an employee’s disadvantage if they worked more time than their standard work shift.

In such cases, employees should be paid overtime for any hours worked beyond 40 hours in a given week. But such cases can be challenging, especially if your supervisor or employer claims you only worked the hours assigned in your shift.

Don’t simply take your employer’s word. Talk to an attorney to find out if you are entitled to overtime or other additional income as a result of unpaid wages. Otherwise, you might not receive the pay you earned for the hours you worked.

Can I sue my employer for such violations?

The short answer? Yes, you can file a lawsuit against your employer for any unpaid wages, including wage violations involving improper rounding or pay to shift violations. However, it’s important to understand that there are statute of limitations laws. The reality is the sooner you take legal action, the better.

There are many reasons why you should consider filing a lawsuit for unpaid wages as soon as possible, including:

  • Your employer might destroy records that could serve as evidence in your case.
  • Your supervisor or other employees that could serve as witnesses might retire, move away or forget what happened.
  • You deserve to be paid the money you earned as soon as possible.

Don’t underestimate the complexity of your legal case. Talk to a lawyer as soon as possible about filing a lawsuit or taking other legal action.

Demand the compensation you deserve. Contact us

The stakes are high when it comes to many wage and hour claims involving improper rounding or similar violations. Your claim or lawsuit could potentially be worth thousands of dollars or even more depending on the details of your case. That’s why it’s important to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible.

Contact our law firm for a consultation with a member of our legal team. We have two Ohio office locations in Cincinnati and Dayton.

Our Locations

Cincinnati, OH

9200 Montgomery Road
Suite #11A
Cincinnati, OH 45242
(513) 834-8254

View Map

Dayton, OH

11 W. Monument Ave
Suite 304
Dayton, OH 45402
(937) 884-1185

View Map

Free Case
Consultation Click Here